09 April 2014

I've been listening to "Famous Blue Raincoat" on loop

I found these photos from last year in a folder entitled, "sun storm." I never posted them apparantly, but finding them has made me so, so excited for the rest of the snow to melt. They reminded me of the smell of rain; the sound of singing frogs; the freedom of wearing less than four items of clothing at a time; the colour green.

And sun storms are the best thing. I can't wait.



Nothing is more exciting after 6-odd months of winter than the Great Melt. A new spring. A new crop. A fresh beginning. These photos are a reminder of lovely afternoons ahead.




Yesterday, I sighted my first butterfly of the year (Fire-Rim Tortoise Shell); a lonely honey bee, a magpie nest, the first Canada geese, and a raven. Eeeee! Such glorious signs of spring!

An interesting note concerning the raven: we've always had an old hawk up at the forest, but the raven seems to have chased him away along with every other bird, save for the occasional chickadee. He must like to croak and muse in privacy.

 

There are other spring developments, too. I've put my winter coat in storage. I've taken my bicycle, Charlotte, out of storage. I've dug out the running shorts and cycling gear. I've starting shaving my legs almost daily. I've started wearing capri pants. I've started wearing TOMS again.




Today is very windy, but also sunny. It's 6°. There's still a fair amount of snow on the ground, but another week or two of this sun, and it will soon be gone. For now, we wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment